Saturday 7 July 2007

Tour de Wight

I've done a gentle recuperative 20 miles this morning, keeping my heart rate down and cruising like a dude from Big Sur. The idea was simply to stretch out the legs and keep it relaxed. Tomorrow I'm aiming to do a 20 mile 'time trial'.

With about a week to go, it's hard to believe that this project which has taken up so much of my time is finally coming to fruition.
I think it's time to have another QandA session.

Q. Are you going to finish?
A. Of course... barring illness, mechanical breakdown or other serious unforeseen problems. If there is some sort of catastrophic failure, then I'll return in August during my summer hols and I'll re-ride the course within the allotted time to prove to myself that I can do it.

Q. Will you carry on cycling after the Etape?
A. Yes, but not nearly to the same extent. I've got my mountain bike in the garage, and I have missed getting out on the trails through the woods in the last few months. I've enjoyed the speed and rhythm of road riding. I won't be doing any more sportives this season. I definitely won't be getting up at 5am to get out for 6 hours of riding on cold wet, windy mornings. Almost straight away I'll be getting back into the footy training for next season. There is no doubt that the cycling is excellent for cardiovascular fitness, leg strength and weight control, but I need to get back into the football. Cycling has been time consuming and there are a few of my other interests which have taken a back seat in the last 4 months, such as kitesurfing, fishing and my guitar.

Q. How have you found time to fit in all the riding
A. You make time.

Q. When is it?
A. Monday July 16th. It's a 7am start (that's 6am English time).

Q. How long will it take.. do I think?
A. I'm not sure, but I'll guess 9 hours.

Q. Does that saddle hurt? Have I had any problems in the (snigger) manhood region (snigger), any complaints from the current Mrs C (snigger)?
A. It is pretty clear that the population know virtually nothing about cycling, but the single fact that has entered general consciousness is that racing cyclists are susceptible to traumatising the pudenal nerves on those hard saddles with resulting problems of impotence. Have I suffered on the saddle? Yes, I've had my fair share of sore bum. Have I had any problems in the you-know-what dept? What do you think?

Q. What do you think of while you're riding?
A. The inference is that a 5 hour bike ride is boring, and you'd be pretty much correct. Having said that , it's about 4 zillion times more interesting than walking. I virtually always wear in ear headphone plugs and use my iPod, so I'm either listening to music, podcasts or the radio. My tiny mind is also ticking over regarding all manner of subjects.... footy, kites, fishing, cars, agas, wife, children, filth etc.

Q. Who takes all those photos on the blog and what sort of camera do they use?
A. Me, and 90% of the photos are from my mobile phone camera.

Q. Is the current Mrs C going to be there with you? Are the children going too?
A. No and No. This will be a whirlwind trip. Logistically it's a nightmare. Imagine 8500 people needing to stay near Foix on Sunday night, and then that volume of cyclists riding 125 miles over 5 mountains to another small Pyrenean town. The roads in-between will be closed. Then we all need to stay near Loudenvielle on Monday night. We fly home at 7am Tuesday.

Q. Are you doing it on your own or with others?
A. There will be a mini peloton of 5. We're going to try and stick together for as long as possible. I was invited to take part in the Etape by Steve Atkinson and Simon Jackson who work for a company that make medical equipment called Bard. They are both keen amateur racers. There are two other guys in our group who are, I think, radiographers.

Q. How much money have you raised?
My target was £1000. I'm almost there. If you add on the reclaimed tax then I definitely have cracked the grand.

Q. What will you do if you need the toilet during the event?
A. Errr... well, what I won't do is mess my pants.... if that's what you want to know.


That's all for now. The 2007 Tour de France prologue from London is about to start on UK Eurosport so I've got to go.

No comments: