Friday 9 March 2007

Wet weather, mud and commuting


It's beautiful on the Isle of Wight, but the roads are generally in poor condition, bumpy and often wet and muddy. I'm lucky to live in the rural west Wight with access to endless off-road trails literally from my gate. I've never had a road bike before and I don't like being passed by vehicles on the narrow roads. So, I've got to get used to road riding on my new super-machine.There is no way that I'm going to use my luverly new Specialized superbike in the wet, so until the roads dry up, it's got to be my mountain bike. I'm planning to start commuting to work as often as possible. Realistically twice a week will do nicely. It will be a 22-mile round trip, and once I get into the routine of an earlier start than normal, I can throw in as many off-road detours as I like, in order to increase the difficulty quotient and mileage.

For many years my dog walking routine before breakfast was to throw the bike in the back of my car with the dogs and drive half a mile or so to the local forest trails. The dogs would leap out when I opened the tailgate and I would jump on the bike and chase them up the hills. It was hard work, but I know it has kept me fit.

No comments: