Sunday 10 June 2007

Bike in a box time.

I've really enjoyed my cycling this past week. Why? I suppose the fabulous weather for one. Then there are the new wheels and tyres which are still giving me a buzz. I've also ridden down some Island roads that I haven't been down before, and even took a trip on the floating bridge. Most of all, I've deliberately backed off and not over-exerted myself. I've therefore done 140 fairly gentle miles this week, and so hopefully I'll be strong for my trip to the south of France. I can't remember where I read it..... but some famous cyclist was interviewed after winning a big Tour and claimed that, 'I won it in bed', implying that it was the rest and sleep that maximised his fitness and form. (Well I think that's what he alluded to). Nothing wrong with catching a few zzzzzzzzz's when you can.

On Tuesday, I'm flying from Bournemouth to Marseilles, then driving to Montpellier where I'll hook up with Chris. He's emailed me today after cycling up Mont Ventoux via Bedouin ie the hard route. I don't think we're going to do that next week but he knows plenty of other very long and steep Cols to test my climbing.

I've packed my bike in its airport bag. I reinforced it by cadging a cardboard box from a bike shop and slotting that inside the canvas. The wheels are in there too, but the pedals and seat/seatpost are going in my carry-on in order to save weight. Ryanair only let you check in 15kg, after which they charge excess. Sneaky.

So, there's 4 weeks to go. I'm going to do the Circuit of the Cotswolds on Sunday, so next week is a very important 7 days of training. Proper mountains, heat, altitude and a 100 mile race. Perfect.

I'm not going to take my laptop away with me, but I'll see if I can post via Chris' computer.

I need to raise a bit more money for The Prostate Cancer Charity. Frank Zappa died from this disease.. what an amazing musician.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.