Sunday 3 June 2007

I wanted them.

No riding at all this weekend.

For starters I've been on-call, and secondly, I've felt tired and sore-throaty. I decided to rest again today and listen to the messages my body is sending to me. I hope I'm not coming down with the virus that has been around the X-Ray dept. last week. A couple of patients that I've been involved with this weekend have been very seriously ill, so it puts it all in perspective. I hate being woken in the night, who doesn't, but it's not so bad when some poor chap is in real need of my expertise. Hope that doesn't sound too dramatic. Had a nice pub lunch with some old friends.

With 6 weeks to go, I'm planning my training carefully in advance so that I peak perfectly on the 16th ... well , that's the idea. I always wonder how neurotic the pro athletes must become when the Olympics or Worlds are approaching?

This week I'm aiming to do two longish rides at fast pace, with some fat-burning and intervals in between. I'm going to flog up and down the local steep hill which is about 15 % and really get used to suffering. I'm not going to go mad though, and I'm going to get some early nights.

Next weekend, the Island goes totally beserk because it is The IOW Rock Festival. The Stones are headlining on the Sunday, and there are loads of other decent bands (so I am told). Unfortunately, the experience of last year has put me off totally. Too many drunk and aggressive people, many unpleasantly stoned, too difficult to see or hear the bands properly, too many disappointing 'artists'. Lou Reed was absolutely diabolical.
I sound very bitter and twisted, but when you've seen bands like The Clash, The Jam, The Ramones, Dexys, The Pistols, The Specials, The Undertones etc. in tiny clubs where you could practically spit on them, it forever seems a little bit flat to stand in a field half a mile away from the stage. The bar is 20 minutes away for a pint of lager, and that's about a fiver... Oh why don't I stop whining and just admit I wish I had a ticket?

So, I'll be on the bike next weekend, and then on the Tuesday the 12th I'm whizzing to Montpellier to be dragged up some major mountains by my old buddy, Chris 'one knee' Middleton.

7 comments:

JackH said...

Ahh yes, I gave up standing in fields to watch bands a few years ago as well. The last was Springsteen in 2004 and the crowd wasn't unduely aggressive, rather the opposite, they were the most dull crowd I've ever been in. Made me weep for rock and roll.

So. The Wheels. Come on, what did ya get? Or do we have to identify them from the picture?

They look rare and German to me.

Mark Liversedge said...

I can see they are mavic ksyrium ES wheels - but the hubs look like they're carbon (?) are they stock hubs or have you put something fancy in them? (Hope?)

JackH said...

They are Mavic Ksyrium Edition Spéciale and I claim my prize.

Peter Close said...

Jack H go to the top of the class and give the pens out!

Peter Close said...

Hang on.. Mark L spotted them first.The carbon sleeve on the front hub is part of the ES spec, I believe.

JackH said...

Ah but Mark had a moment of doubt, while I was able to look at Google Images and claim the victory as my own!

Mark Liversedge said...

I'm pretty sure I didn't have any doubt, possibly.