Friday 8 June 2007

New boots and panties

Ian Dury died from prostate cancer and I want to remind blogreaders that you may sponsor me if you so desire. All the money goes to The Prostate Cancer Charity. Now he would have been a great live act for the IOW Festival.
The poppies are out in the fields (Who recorded that?). Can you see that huge mountain in the background? That's the climb up Blackgang Chine to viewpoint lookout.
And talking of new boots... can you spot the red tyres on my bike? I had to do it. The Contis which came with my Ksyriums seemed to be fine, but how would I know if they are better than Michelins unless I bought some and gave them a whirl.The bike looks a tad tarty now, a bit Cheeky Girlish, instead of a bit Elle.
So, that's exactly what I've done. Mich Pro 2's. Just been for a ride on the new tyres and they definitely feel faster. Ok, it could all be in my mind, but I don't care. They're on for good. Local bike shop guru Adrian reckons Veloflex Paves are even better, and he could be right. But, I can't keep swapping about. Anyone would think I'm a rich doctor.

Any readers out there got any sound advice about packing your bike ready for flying? Ten top tips sort of thing. I've borrowed a soft padded bike bag from Etape veteran cardiologist Dallas Price (great name).. veteran in terms of experience, not age. I think Ryanair are going to sting me for excess baggage charges. After all, they've got to generate some profit somehow after selling me a return ticket for 2 new pence. I have 15 kg to play with! Oh well. I'll be putting tons of stuff in my carry-on bag. Once I bought a bass amplifier head in Chicago and shoe-horned it into a bag and took that on the flight back home in the cabin. I practically had to do a clean and jerk to lift it into the overhead locker, and I was petrified that it might come bursting out and kill someone if we hit turbulence. It took forever to get through security as well.

It was a real Mary Celeste job at work today. Only the sick and needy. I went down town at lunchtime and it was heaving with revellers.

This evening I did 20 miles and used the HRM to keep my rate low so that I didn't over reach myself. The result. A really enjoyable ride, and remarkably fast time/average speed. I'm so much fitter and faster compared to when I started.

Tomorrow I'll be up at 5-30am to take Sarah skating, and I'll go for a ride while she's on the ice. Again, I'm going to take it slow, and on an empty stomach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Out In The Fields' - Gary Moore & Phil Lynott - May 1985 - highest position No 5.

LOL!!

Peter Close said...

correct..of course.