Monday 11 June 2007

Who remembers the 70's? Who can remember the weekend?


I'll probably be cycling up a French mountain by the time you read this. No..it's not the Etape yet. I'm zipping off to Montpellier where I'm staying with my mate Chris. He'll be tying a rope from the back of his saddle to my front fork and dragging me up some proper hills in the Cevennes National Park.

The IOW Rock festival is over for another year, and I suspect many people are still feeling a bit under the weather. The old saying is that if you can remember the sixties then you probably weren't there. I reckon Keef can't remember the 60's, the 70's or the 80's. I was a big Stones fan in the 70's. Black and Blue was my favourite album, released around '76, just before I got into punk rock.

I was on the Redjet today skimming through the paper when an article caught my eye about one of the most naff icons of the 70's. No, not Oxford bags, tank tops or Subbutteo, but The Goblin Teasmaid. For those of you who don't know, this is a glorified kettle attached to an alarm clock. You fill it with water, milk and tea before you retire of a night, set the alarm, and then you are woken in the morning by a freshly brewed pot of tea. Well, that's the theory. Now for a confession. I know a doctor who used to have one when he was a student. Let's call him Nigel cos that's his name. I borrowed his Teasmaid one day just to see how good (or bad ) it was.... and I can assure you it was rubbish. I was woken not by a nice cuppa, but by a gurgling noise as the water was boiling. When it all came to fruition , the tea was the wrong side of lukewarm and tasted ... worse than the tea on the Wightlink ferries. That bad.

Anyway, prepare yourself, because these devices are making a comeback and will be in a shop near you very soon. I've just had an evil thought. My sister is getting married in two weeks, and I need to buy her a wedding present. Oh yes, that will be funny.

I'm up early in the morning to catch my plane from Bournemouth Airport. I think it's fantastic the way small regional airports have been developed. Maybe someone will expand Sandown or Bembridge? Maybe not.

2 comments:

Jacko said...

Have a great trip you lucky bugger! I've just done an interval session on Alderley Edge - good but I think you will have a better time than me!!!!!!! I look forward to hearing just how tired and hungry you are next week. After about day 3 of our Majorca trip each year every possible minute in bed is taken and you just can not eat enough food! Have you weighed your self before you go?

Anonymous said...

RE "just before I got into punk rock
"

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear... [shakes head negatively]!!

: - ))) ha, ha

Prog rock rules!!!