Tuesday 19 June 2007

Reflection time

I gained a lot from my few days in France, and in the last few days have taken the opportunity to evaluate exactly what I have learned.

First .. there is no place for equipment failure. In the last week I've had a few annoying problems including a broken chain, broken sensor mounting for my computer, a new HRM which I had very little idea how to operate so it beeped every two minutes for over 6 hours, a flapping chin strap on my helmet and underinflated tyres. No excuses.

Next, forewarned is forearmed.... or to put it another way...... it's easier to find a needle in a haystack if you know you're looking for a needle. I prefer to know the size of the challenge ahead of me and grinding around endless hairpin bends without knowing how far to go didn't suit my psyche. I know some may argue the converse, but so be it. Plus, natural competitiveness drives me on when I can see someone ahead.

Third, it's more difficult on your own. I have been told that the atmosphere and roadside support and encouragement on the day is tremendous, and I have no doubt that this will help us all. Jacko and Atkinson are going to talk me round, aren't you?

Finally, the heat coupled with the risk of dehydration are major problems which could scupper everything despite all the training and effort over the last 3 months. It could be 40 degrees on the day. We've all seen the data regarding drop off in performance when you let yourself become dry. I really struggled to keep cool and couldn't shake off feelings of extreme thirstyness. Jacko spoke to me on this subject last week and I think he's made the correct call. The answer may be to use electrolyte drinks to keep hydrated, and rely on energy gels and powerbars/fruit/ham butties etc for calories. There are 4 weeks to test my theory, so I'm going to do some experiments on the road. Also, none of us want to carry two kilos of water up these big climbs and your stomach shuts down when your gasping for breath. So, some careful planning is needed to anticipate where the feeding stations are, and how they relate to the cols.

The fourth col is Port de Bales. Quotation from Cofidis pro Stephane Auge who lives in Pau, 'The Bales is very, very hard, long and steep. There will be suffering here.' Nice. 'Tour stages don't come much harder than this.'

Mark L has kindly pointed out to me that La Luzette was nowhere near 16 %. I was reporting back from local rider Phillipe. It just shows what a novice I am, and underlines how valuable my recce trip has been. I have no doubt that I was in a dark place going up that hill. Google maps is brilliant and I've been trying to find the routes which I followed last week.

Oh.. one more thing... The flight, early starts, disturbance to the diet and sleep pattern are also going to contribute towards our problems.

Apart from all that lot, it should be a doddle.

7 comments:

Mark Liversedge said...

It may have been 16% in places ... the profile only shows the averages for each kilometre.

It doesn't really matter though -- what is really cool is you konw what you're in for... I got a nasty shock last year so I know how you feel...

better to get the shock last week rather than on the day?

JackH said...

Pete

Your comment about carrying two litres of water worries me. You are going to ride with two full bottles, no? You don't want to get caught out with too little water - the weight means very little in comparison to dehydration.

As a dietary tip, I have it on good authority that the Maxim drinks work well. A 250ml carton provides an hours worth of energy apparently. The Go gel sachets only seem to last about 20 minutes. In future I am also going to carry sachets of Go Energy Powder with me so I can mix them at the feed stations.

I personally would avoid 'false' sugars found in Jelly Babies etc. They lift you up but plonk you back down on your arse very quickly.

But diet is very personal. Let us know what you decide on.

The thing is carrying it all!

Mark Liversedge said...

Totally with jackh about carring water! For etape if there is water available I will be putting it in my bottles. I'm seriously considering taking 4 bottles (2 on a seat mount).

I chose to have no bottles for the Alpe D'Huez TT thing I'm doing but that is for an hour only!!!!!!

I use polybags and GO and they work fairly well

Anonymous said...

Are Camelbacks any good for carrying extra water/hydrating drinks, or does the added weight and sweat inducing pack on your back counteract the benefit of the fluid inside?

CB

Anonymous said...

I see they have a website www.camelbak.com and also do an electrolyte tablet called elixir. I expect you've sussed all this out already but thought I'd mention it.

CB

Anonymous said...

Pete,

I have just been over the Etape course a couple of weekends ago and I can tell you the Balles is a b*gger of a 'hill', not to mention the Col de Mente and Col de Peyresoude which are both v.tough!!

I would definetly carry 2 bottles as the weight penalty is nothing compared to the time you would loose from not drinking. Think I went through 1.5 bottles on Balles in 30 degrees hope its not too much hotter on the day.

Great Blog by the way, maybe see you on the day.

Simon

Richard Allen said...

Pete/Mark.

I'm going with 4 x 800ml SIS btls.

- 2 btls on the frame, and
- 2 with a 'Profile' Aqua Rack Btl Cage on the seat post.

Bottles weigh very little when empty and I am sure that if they are full I'll be glad to have them...