Tuesday 10 July 2007

Helmet hair

I went back to work yesterday after a week's annual leave, and spent the whole day glancing at my watch and thinking about how far around the course would I be at the same time next week. I also constantly have been asked 'when is it?' At least people are interested.

Things must be getting pretty serious because for the third night in a row I have dreamed about L'Etape. Last night I was in the leading bunch when a couple of hotshots accelerated past me. I waited for my group to respond, but they didn't, so I jumped out on my own and chased them up to road. Obviously I caught them, and then beat them up a long climb. Then it all went to pieces, because I got stranded at the apex, and everybody else disappeared down a road which I didn't know existed. So I had a disturbed and frustrated feeling of wasted effort. Perhaps that explains why I felt really tired when I woke despite a reasonably early bed time last night. I'm not feeling particularly energetic but I'm putting that down to patheticness/neurosis/nerves.As long as I have not got the Close family virus then I'm going to be OK.

Top Northern Pro Jacko has organised for me and the 4 other superstars from The Bard Prostate Cancer Charity team to wear some special kit for the big day. It's loverly; top quality Bioracer apparel. I went for a test ride today over my 20 mile course and did a good time, although I didn't break my record. I'm blaming that on a strong headwind all the way home, plus I was baulked by two coach loads of tourists blocking my run down the fastest bit of the course. Annoying. Anyway, I got the missus to take a photo of me with my sweaty helmet hair sporting the new outfit. It's quality and must be worth at least 30 minutes time saved. My spies in the far north have also predicted hot dry weather next Monday in Foix... it's good to know all the training in the cold rain will amount to nothing. Actually, I have been going out in the last month deliberately wearing far too much clothing in order that I at least attempt to acclimatise to the sensation of being too hot! A bit nutty I suppose, but how many of you are familiar with that awful airless stuffy feeling when you're exercising in hot weather? It's horrible and you feel as if you're suffocating. It sounds as if we'll fly from 15 degree England to 35 degree France and then get on the bike and pedal for 9 hours after 24 hours adjustment! All part of the fun.

The Tour is on Eurosport with brilliant live coverage every day. It's fantastic to watch and the commentators are superb. Sean Kelly is so funny, and has mastered the art of non-stop babbling without drawing breath. He and David Harmon are now able to convey so much more information and insider knowledge to we viewers, making it much more exciting and watchable. Yesterday's stage in Belgium was marred by a horrific crash which blocked the road. These guys are so brave and tough. The Belgiums got a one-two finish, which is a bit more than we Brits can claim after our prologue and first stage on home soil. I wonder how bad Wiggins and Cavendish feel after such disappointment on the first two days. I suppose the important thing is how they deal with the failures in their careers, just as much as the successes. Look at the way Robbie McCewan handled the shock of crashing on Sunday, gritting his teeth, ignoring the pain and somehow getting himself to the front and winning by a few yards. A lesson in life? Boys I'm deep. Today's finish was also fantastic. That fella Cancellara is the one to beat on his Cervelo.

So, with just a few more days to go, there aint much more to do in terms of training. I'm getting all my bits and pieces together. I need to go shopping and buy some malt loaf, Nutrigrain bars and a few other nick-nacks. Passport. Currency. Camera.

I promise to have a careful look through my excel spreadsheet training diary and compile some data. I was listening to a podcast from the JBST boys at the weekend and they were interviewing a very experienced guy who has done 5 or 6 Etapes. He was recommending at least 8-10 hours per week from January in order to get prepared.
I have done nowhere near that much! Not even close.

I also need to post a running total regarding the money which I have raised for the Prostate Cancer Charity. I hope I've made the thousand mark. If there is anyone out there prevaricating.... you want to sponsor me but you can't quite be bothered.. all I can say is go on, go on, go on go on, go on...

Finally, my 12-year old daughter has started her own blog. http://chickensrockmyworld-soyouthinkyoucan.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

JackH said...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A24599721

JackH said...

....a thread aboue another poor soul doing the Etape.

Best of British to you Peter, your blog has been very entertaining and I have no doubt you will do it.

Keep eating and drinking and ride at your own pace - you'll breeze it.

Bonne Chance!