Wednesday 4 July 2007

Wind, rain, fumes.


A glorious summer's day for we kitesurfers. A tad windy I suppose, and some nasty squalls blowing through. I'm not complaining.

I've had a day of rest from the cycling. My legs are not surprisingly slightly achey after yesterday, but I'll be up early in the morning for another hard ride. I'm feeling healthy which is the most important thing.

I've said before that there are multiple variable factors which I need to manage in order to complete this ride. One unavoidable thing is going to be the need to get up very early on the Saturday morning when I fly out to Toulouse and then again on the big day. The race starts at 7 am local time. Remember, in France they are an hour behind so effectively we can call it 6am for my body clock. I believe my hotel is about 40 km from Foix, so I suppose I will be crawling out of my bed at something like 3 am. Given that I'll probably sleep like a condemned man, I'm going to be bleary eyed. Oh well..... all those years of sleep deprivation practice whilst doing junior doc on-call may have been worth it after all. I'm going to simulate the race day by getting up early and going for some pre-breakfast rides in the next week. I don't really mind getting up early, but I definitely don't feel like exercise first thing in the morning.

A brief update on the troublesome aga. Despite getting it burning nice and hot again after overhauling the burner mechanism last weekend, the house was smelling very fumy. I decided to get it sorted properly so have got a professional in. He was aghast at what he found. The flue is illegal, blocked, and very dangerous. And that's just for starters. I can see a very big bill looming in the near future.

No comments: