Sunday 8 July 2007

I don't believe it

What a weekend of sport.
The papers are full of analysis of the mens' Wimbledon final, and there are at least two articles about Bjorn Borg. When I was a lad he was The Man. He ruled the game. Clearly he had the game for grass, but his main asset was his incredible temperament. The cliche which will be repeated ad nauseum will be 'ice cool' but it sums him up perfectly. No matter what was happening on the court, he registered no emotion and, more importantly, his game never wavered. He is a legend. When he was finally beaten by McCenroe, he shocked the world by announcing his sudden unexpected retirement from the game. He has subsequently declared that he was never enjoying himself when he was playing tennis. How very odd. I would have thought he was having a ball out there thrashing everyone. I would love to be doing that. A one-on-one combative and gladiatorial game, played out in front of the eyes of the world. I hope he his a contented man. Glory and respect last forever.

Lewis Hamilton looks as if he has the mental side of things pretty much sewn up. Despite everything going off around him, he just gets on with his job. You can't help but think old Monty would have been one of the all time great golfers if he had been able to control the psychological side of things.
I suppose none of us really know if we've got it upstairs until the chips are down. When I was doing the Hampshire Hilly 100 I spent a lot of time riding with a guy who is also doing the Etape. He was telling me about his first attempt the previous year, and how he blew up on the first climb. He described how he was psyched out by the sheer magnitude of the mountain. He finished eventually, but the Etape experience for him was a bad one and he took no good memories from the day.

I can't stress how much I want my Etape to be a day of good memories and experiences. Obviously the number one priority is to finish. Then I want to have enjoyed the atmosphere, the crowd, the climbs, the descents, the scenery... the whole lot of it. I'm not trying to get a medal. I also want to avoid too much dehydration with the accompanying headache and wasted feeling.

For those of us with access to Eurosport TV, the Tour de France has been amazing so far. Basically, we've got live coverage of the entire prologue and first stage. Wouldn't it be funny if they covered L'Etape du Tour? I'll have to make certain that I record the programme on the day when the pros do the stage from Foix to Loudenvielle so that I can relive the event through the eyes of the TV cameras.

I'm planning to do another gentle ride today, and then will do a full-on 20 mile 'time-trial' on Tuesday to see if I can beat my record time. Then Wednesday and Thursday will be leisurely recuperative rides just to wind down and keep my legs going. I don't want to stop completely because it doesn't suit my physiology. I'll make certain that my legs are not stressed too much so that any muscle damage will be repaired by the weekend.

I've just checked my travel itinerary and I've realised that my flight next Saturday is not early morning, but late evening. This is good and bad. It means I avoid a ridiculous early start in order to set off, but I'm going to arrive in my hotel around midnight on the Saturday. On the Sunday, I'll have to reconstruct the bike after the journey, and then report to race control to check-in and claim my race number and transponder. I'm anticipating sleep deprivation, rushing and anxiety. It's going to be worse for Jacko and Atkinson, cos they've got to drive our vehicles to Loudenvielle and then get on the coach in order to return to the Foix. That will be a 5 hour round journey. It's all part of the Etape experience.

2 comments:

Jacko said...

Well, all the training is done. It's now time to spin the legs and recover ready for the day. I'm picking up my compact crank this week as a 'get out of jail free card' and a wheel upgrade from the nice people at Roval!!!!
I can't wait for the day now and also for it to be over so I can get back to normal riding and life. I have to say wave sailing last wekend was fantastic .. bring on a windy summer!!!AND bring on Sven and Nancy!!!!! More laughs from the Treatre of Comedy as Stuart Hall calls it......
See you on Saturday and hope the kit fits and you use the extra product!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).