Monday 2 July 2007

Stub out them fags


Strewth... I've just seen Serena Williams on the box. If she's got herself back into condition then I'd hate to see her when she's a bit lardy. It's sad because she was fantastic when she first arrived on the scene, and I feel she has wasted her potential. Is that fair? I know she has won plenty of big titles, but she should be totally dominant. Such power and speed. I'm a sad man cos I wanted the pretty one to win.

I've also had the misfortune to see Gordon Brown making a statement in response to the terrorist threat. Oh dear. The spin doctors are going to struggle with him. A more un-natural rabbit-in-the-headlights performance I have never seen. You could actually see his beady baboon eyes scanning the autocue like a robot. He is supposed to be a bit brainy, but he's the man who sold all the gold at rock-bottom prices, presided over the pension fund debacle, and has driven up house prices by forcing money out of stocks and shares and into property. I'll give you a simple analogy. Just because the cleaner is good at sweeping up you don't promote him/her to be the next sales manager.

My little girl got home at 11 pm last night clutching a brace of medals plus two bruised knees and blisters from her new boots. She was ill this morning, as is the current Mrs C. I don't need to stress how much do I not want to catch her cold!

I have not been for a ride today. I wanted to be sure I didn't feel tired after yesterday's effort. It's early to bed tonight and then I'll do a hard hilly session tomorrow. The forecast is poor, but I've got no option but to get out there whatever the weather.

I bet I'm in a comfortable majority who welcome the ban on smoking in public places. It certainly will make gigging a better experience. The morning after, our equipment reeks of cigarettes. It is disgusting. Those of us of a certain age will remember Roy Castle, an incredible allround entertainer who died from lung cancer most likely as a result of the effects of passive smoking. He was on the record breakers... what a great programme that was!

1 comment:

JackH said...

Whilst no fan of any politician, I thought the 'beady baboon eyes' comment was a bit below the belt - the guy is blind in one eye and only has 30% vision in the other.

Not that being blind is any defence - no-one cheered as loudly as me when David Blunkett and his dog got their come-uppance.

Which reminds me of a story. In my youth I occasionally subscribed to Marxism Today and (almost unbelievably given how things turned out) Blunkett gave a short Q&A interview on the back page. One of the questions was 'What do you think is the ugliest building?'. He replied 'The Sheffield Odeon cinema' which was hideous. But how did he know? Did he feel the whole building by climbing it?