Monday 23 April 2007

100 miles.


100 miles.
Yes, a century. My first. I didn’t feel particularly good when I was setting off, and I felt absolutely terrible by the time I finished 6 and a half hours later.
I have become quite clever at route planning and I gave myself the option of putting in two extra loops which I calculated would take my mileage up to somewhere around 100.
My main problems today were dehydration, an aching bum and feeling nauseous. It was hot and humid.
I had been out all day on Saturday in the sun, on my feet, and I struggled to hydrate myself adequately. My pee was bright yellow, which isn't a good sign, is it? On the way home on Saturday evening I hid a bottle of water in a ditch along my route and this subsequently saved my bacon. It’s a good job that I didn’t have to give a wee sample to the anti-doping officer because it took me ages to get a diuresis going once I was home.
As for my arse-ache, I think I had inflated my tyres a little too hard. I really suffered. I’ve already moaned on numerous occasions about the crap bumpy Island roads, but I’m really glad that I chose the Specialized Roubaix rather than the Tarmac model. My Roubaix has a more relaxed frame geometry and has rubbery inserts in strategic points of the frame to specifically absorb shock and vibrations. I dread to think what a really stiff frame would feel like. I don’t know if my saddle is too extreme. I’m not experienced enough to make any subjective judgement. I’ve got some of that Assoss chamois cream and it certainly makes the skin tingle nicely around the perineum.
Anyway, I’m praying that the French roads are smooth.
I’m not sure about my shoes either. The cinchable main strap hurts. I struggle to eliminate play and when I tighten them, I get numb feet. I need to try a size smaller.
As for the ride itself, that was reasonably comfortable. I think I drank a little too much too quickly once I picked up my hidden water supply, and my stomach couldn’t cope with volume. The pyloric sphincter went into spasm and then the stomach churned without emptying, so I felt really sick. This ruined the last 90 minutes and stopped me stuffing my face when I got home. Actually my current wife made me cheese on toast out of pity and it was gratefully scoffed.
Then, a lovely hot bath after the disappointment of seeing Wolves lose to the Brummies.
Today has been a rest day and I’m going to play football again tomorrow evening.
Best wishes to Tom Lyons who dislocated his elbow on Sunday playing netball. It had to hurt. He’ll be back!
Thanks to all my sponsors.

3 comments:

Mark Liversedge said...

H O W C O O L I S T H A T ! ! !

Congratulations on your first 100 mile ride. You'll be cracking them off easily from now on.

Nice one.

JackH said...

Your 'current' wife made you cheese on toast?

Are you planning on trading her in soon?

Jacko said...

Ahhhh, the current Mrs Close! Nice, have you tried the ice bath after such a ride?