Wednesday 11 April 2007

Bass fishing and 77 miles.


The Needles are chalk stacks located at the extreme western tip of the Isle of Wight. There is an underwater extension of the chalk extending for another half mile or so called The Bridge, over which the tide races forming dangerous waves. Despite being marked very clearly on marine charts, every year yachtsmen hit it, usually at low tide and snag themselves on one of the jagged peaks of rock. A few metres from where my boat is positioned when I took this photo lies the wreck of the Varvassi, a Greek steamer, who came to grief in 1947. She lies at an angle, with the rusting remains of her boilers sticking up dangerously just a few feet under the surface.
Living here, surrounded by water, it was only a matter of time before I acquired a boat and started to get out on the Solent and around the Needles into the English channel. My first was a hooligan's dream, a Seadoo jet boat with twin 85hp 2-stroke engines. It went like stink and handled brilliantly. We did a bit of wake boarding and generally zoomed around at 40mph plus jumping the wake of the Wightlink ferries, but it didn't really prove to be winner with the family. I spent a lot of time using it for fishing. Blood, scales and gore all over the luxurious seats wasn't really a goer so I sold her to a mate, and bought a proper fishing boat, an Orkney 20 foot Dayangler. I've gradually got more and more into the sea angling. There is a lot to learn, not only about fishing, but also about safety.
From about mid-April we can start to think about catching bass. The remains of the Varvassi are a major hazard, but also good for finding early season fish. Luckily I know exactly where she lies, and my boat has a shallow draft of only 18 inches. When the tide is slack I like to slowly drift directly over her spinning with light tackle. There are plenty down there, lurking in the depths. They also shoal at the base of the lighthouse, but it is very difficult to get near enough to cast for them. There are other hot spots along the Bridge, but I risk being lynched if I give away their exact location. There is a commercial boat out of Yarmouth Harbour who catches hundreds of bass using live sandeel for bait. If I get too near to his boat he gets a shotgun out and waves it at me. Nice friendly sort of chap. Bass have become an extremely expensive fish and chefs like Rick Stein have popularised them. I like to bring home maybe four or five. Eat a couple, give one or two to friends, and maybe swap one for a lamb chop or two from the local farmer. I love to eat freshly caught fish.
I cycled 77 miles today, 14 miles further than last week. I felt really good, strong and fit, and there was more in the tank. It was supposed to be hot and sunny, but I left the house at 10 minutes past 6 and it was , of course, freezing. In fact, I didn't see the sun until about 11 o'clock when I was nearly home. So, I'm resting tomorrow and I'll be going fishing.

1 comment:

Mark Liversedge said...

Those early starts are just the best. 6am still cold, no traffic and your body is struggling to wake up....

Looks like you have good scenery to enjoy on your rides. Feeling envious sitting in an office block in Birmingham city centre :-(

Nice fish, btw!

All the best,
Mark