Thursday 19 April 2007

I've got the Blahs this week

Years ago, we're talking the late 70's, I used to do a bit of road running. Jogging became a popular hobby with loads of apparently sane people taking to the streets and parks, wobbling along in their running kit, grimacing, and generally looking very uncomfortable. How many hips and knees have been destroyed? The popularity of the London Marathon developed with the backing of the BBC, and has helped promote the notion of people taking an interest in their health and fitness. Millions of pounds have been raised for charity. I wonder how many pairs of running shoes have been sold in the past 30 years? Nike have made their fortune from this running boom, and I guess people like Chris Brasher.I suppose it has all been a 'good thing'. Cycling in order to keep fit, and to generate the feel-good factor from those endorphins is just the same. The beauty of it for old codgers like me is that it is non-weight bearing, and much easier on the legs and joints. And easier on the heart and lungs. Make no mistake, running is more strenuous than cycling.

I used to run to keep fit for playing football, but it also gave me free time with an uncluttered mind, during which I used to think through problems and mentally revise for my exams. I had a book by a running guru called Jim Fixx, and I think it was he who coined the term, The Runners Blahs. He was the daddy of jogging. Died in his 50's of a heart attack.
Well, this week, I've definitely got The Cyclists' Blahs.
I just feel knackered. Do you ever wake up at the normal time, but instead of feeling refreshed and energised after a good kip, you feel totally wasted? Even after the usual life-giving mugs of tea I have felt listless this week. I suppose it's a reaction to the heavy training of the previous week, plus I've got a low grade viral infection. The important thing when you feel like this, is to listen to what your body is telling you, and go with the flow. Ease back the training, lots of sleep, don't overeat, and wait for your immune system to recover. So, I've played football this week (a mistake, we lost 7-5, I missed a sitter) and I've cycled 22 miles. I'm going to rest until Sunday.

All is not lost because my fundraising efforts are starting to pick up momentum. (Please click on the link on the left and give me a fiver. Go on Go on Go on.) I think I'll get in touch with the local press, and I need to put myself about a bit in the hospital to generate more awareness. The lads from Bard UK have sent a nice poster which I need to slightly modify and then I'll stick it on the wall in the clinic where the patients' with prostate problems are waiting. I don't want to ram it down peoples' throats, especially if they're ill, but you've got to be a little bit pushy with these sponsored events haven't you?

By the way, this photo from a few years ago shows the descent into Freshwater Bay. On the far side is High Down and the Tennyson Trail up to Tennyson's Monument. He used to walk up there, legend has it, composing his poems. You're not supposed to ride a bike up the trail, but in the winter it's OK on the mountain bike as there is noone else about. And yes, it's pretty steep. Can you left click on the photo and magnify it? If you look closely, can you see that the farmer has ploughed 'I Love You' into the field of corn? And Old Harry Rock is visible in the distant sea on the left. The monument is right on top of the hill. Fellow blogger Mark commented that I'm lucky to be able to ride in an area with such lovely scenery, and yes, he's right. That's why we moved here from Liverpool.
I hope they give Chelsea a good tonking in the European Cup.

2 comments:

Jacko said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacko said...

I have an idea for you to raise some serious money - how about a sponsored leg waxing in he X Ray dept???
£10 per removal of a stip should rise loads of cash!
Footie wise as a Man City fan I don't care as long as MUFC win nothing!!! It would be interesting to have a Liverpool v MUFC final as Athens would not know what had hit it! BUT only if you could guarantee a Liverpool victory. How about we beat them in the derby (last home game of the season for us) to give Chelsea the title .... ahhh dreams.