Saturday 7 April 2007

What have you given up for Lent?



This is a photo of one of my bottle cages. I weighed it and it comes in at 32g. Not bad for £6. Ugly but efficient.
I've just got back from a good hard ride. 22 miles at 18.4 mph, and that included three hard climbs. I'm pleased with that average speed, especially after yesterday's lack of sleep. The amazing thing is I felt awful the whole way around, and couldn't stop thinking about how slow and tired I felt. And I was cold, despite a sunny evening. This means that I've done 126 miles this week. How long does it take for the benefit of this week's efforts to translate into improvement on the bike? I would have thought about 10 to 14 days. It's certainly not an overnight phenomenon.

My daughter has just made a typical 11 year-old girl's entrance into the room proudly proclaiming that she has given up Sims 2 for Lent. Sims 2 is a computer game. When she says 'Lent' she actually means for 2 days. That's my kind of girl. I have given up picking my toe nails in bed.... forever.

1 comment:

Mark Liversedge said...

I usually give up brussel sprouts for lent...

The beauty of a HRM is it will tell you when you're overtraining, it will tell you when you're going too hard and when you need to go harder.

But then like you say, you need to get on the bike and ride. Especially now the sun has shown up.

Keep pedallin.......