Thursday 5 April 2007

Too much beer at The Fat Cat and more wound woes

Last night Riptide were gigging at The Fat Cat beer festival in Freshwater Bay, less than 3 miles from our house. It's great to do a truly local gig, because usually we're driving across the Island for at least 30 minutes. The gig was a little stressful because we were the second band of the night, and had the logistical problem of rapidly getting our gear on stage and setting up the equipment and PA. It's not easy, and there is a myriad of mics, leads etc which need setting up. We didn't really have time to soundcheck, but had to rely on the sound guys to mix us live from out front, and we had to hope and trust that they were doing a good job. They did.. in fact they were fantastic. Calm, efficient and no attitude. Thanks boys. Anyway, although we thought we played pretty average by our standards, everyone out front was complimentary and said all the nice things. It was nice to see a gang of junior docs from St Mary's Hospital making the trek out to the far west Wight. The gig was streamed live through the internet. Afterwards, we got to meet the high octane introvert Jay who runs the show, and also sampled rather too much of his fine ales. Hence, I had what Jeeves might describe as a 'morning head' as I set off for work on my bike at 7am. Cold again, but at last I had some overshoes which were perfect, and a lovely Bioracer gilet...thanks to my top mucker Jacko.The gilet is a wonder of modern technical fabric. It feels like plastic but is clearly very breathable. I'm still not happy with the Specialized shoes which are hurting my feet.Perhaps I've got an overuse tendinitis?
I decided the only way to shift my headache was to sweat it out and give myself a different sort of pain to worry about. So, I bombed to work, 11 miles, and then got down to business with my leg wound which is still not right. I scanned my wound area with ultrasound and, as expected, there was a large collection of fluid between the skin and the underlying bone. So, I shoved a nice big needle into the fluid and sucked it out...all 30 ml of it (that's a lot). Yes, it hurt.Sister O'Kell could hardly contain her excitement. This is the sort of gore that nurses live for. The fluid was bloodstained serous gunk, but not infected. My leg changed in shape in front of my eyes as the fluid was drawn off. Hopefully, it will heal up quickly now. I've still got an ulcer which is a bit messy at the point of impact and this is directly over the knobbly bit of hip bone underneath (that's the greater trochanter to you Biggles).
After work, I took a long route home across some of the Island's worst climbs, which eventually worked out as a 40 miler at an average of almost 17 mph.
I've got a 10 day break from work now, so hopefully I can keep progressing.

1 comment:

James Ayrton said...

Ah the joys of interventional radiology... I rather enjoyed the gig (and the ale of course.) I would have liked to have seen a little more single-coil action but that PRS sure does sound sweet!