Monday 9 April 2007

Pushing those pedals

What beautiful Easter weather. This photo was taken from the cliffs above Compton Beach looking to High Down and the chalk cliffs on either side of Freshwater Bay.

My Easter weekend has mainly involved ferrying my son to his holiday football tournament. And, rescuing baby bunnies and mice from our kittens who are catching 4 or 5 a day and dumping them live in our lounge or kitchen. They then run around screeching and we have 10 minutes of pandemonium trying to catch them.

I have also aspirated another 30 ml of serous fluid from my injured hip. At least it wasn't blood-stained this time. I'm taking regular anti-inflammatories in an effort to hasten the healing. The skin wound has almost granulated over the top, apart from one small pit.

Today I joined a three-time-Etapist colleague from work for a 39-mile early morning ride. It was a cold start at 7-15 but for the first time I had the correct equipment to keep me warm and comfortable. What a difference my gilet and arm-warmers made. It was great to not be riding on my own and we clicked off the miles comfortably. I felt really content when I got home. 4 weeks ago I had never cycled this far in my life, and yet today it was a cruise. Obviously the training is starting to make a difference. I've become comfortable with the bike, I think my legs are much stronger and mentally, I'm acclimatising myself to long stretches in the saddle. Last week I did 129 miles at an average speed of 16.9 mph. Longest ride of 63 miles.

We made one silly mistake today. After reaching the summit of the high point of the Island we had a drink and banana stop, and stripped off a layer or two as we were sweltering after the climb. Obviously we then descended at 35 mph and froze our nuts off. I won't do that again.

I picked up a copy of Cycling Weekly this evening and am amused to read the Dr Hutch column where he discusses the subject of why do cyclists shave their legs. His conclusion.... fashion.

No comments: