Sunday 27 May 2007

I Predict A Riot

This photo depicts the victorious Thorns School football team from Kenilworth, who have just won the U11 mid-Warwickshire knock-out Cup Final.We beat the mighty St Patricks from Leamington Spa 2-1 after extra time. We won because of our fantastic manager.. Mr Barrett.

It rained constantly during the match, and it rained constantly today.

I'm in this photo looking very uncool. If any of my teammates are reading this blog, recognise themselves, and subsequently get in touch with me then I will...... I will.... be surprised.

The Kaiser Chiefs are Leeds Utd fans, and obviously you all know from where their name originates, so I won't bore everyone with the story. Suffice to say that virtually the entire country loves to hate Leeds, and has done so ever since the Revie era. Perhaps the most ignominious event of the club's history is not their recent declaration of insolvency and relegation to Division 3 (in old money), but the sacking of the great Brian Clough after 44 days at the helm.

My poor misguided brother lent me a book about Cloughie's tenure at Leeds, assuring me that it was probably the greatest sport's related tome ever written. I can't even remember the name of it, but it doesn't matter because it was poor. I almost gave up half way through.

I disagree about a fair bit of stuff with my bro, which means we have a normal healthy relationship, and this is particularly true when it comes to discussing football.

Therefore, by the power of the blog invested in me I am wishing the best of luck to Derby County who deserve to be promoted tomorrow.

Alan Hansen famously said, 'You can't win anything with kids'. He was wrong. But let's invoke the spirit of Hansen tomorrow and hope the old men of West Brom run out of luck and legs and lose by 3 or 4 clear goals. It will be good to see Derby in the top flight again, and we're back to the Clough connection. Who remembers The Baseball Ground?

4 comments:

Jacko said...

I remember Derby v Man City at the Baseball Ground, the ref gave them a penalty but the spot had been worn off. Big Joe Corrigan (England's no 1 - better that liverpool one)measured it out and the ref disagreed. It all went funny and I think they scored but post match analysis showed big Joe to be right!!!!!Talking about old footie grounds there is also the famous quote from Maine Road when Frannie Lee visited for Derby "Interesting, very interesting!" Or from more modern times Naill Quinn puting us 1 up before going in goals and saving a penalty from Dean Saunders who moved to Liverpool for the next season and missed one again when we won to go top with 2 goals from David White .........happy days.

Peter Close said...

Jacko.... oh for those good old days when Man City were a great team.. Frannie Lee, Summerbee, Corrigan, Colin Todd.Joe Mercer, Peter Barnes. My Mum was born right next door to Maine Rd so we used to follow City.

Boing Boing said...

The Damned United by David Pearce is where Sillitoe meets Shakespeare with the demons of Hamlet mixed with the frailties of Crime and Punishment sheer genius lost on a Doghead keep listening to Supertramp.
Trust you finally to get something right every team you have predicted victory for has lost. Well it was a cold evil wind that blew around Wembley on Monday and victory was with the devil. Some took solace in beating the Dogheads four times in a season but it doesn't quite take the pain away.

Peter Close said...

ok r kid.