Thursday 24 May 2007

Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want.

I made two predictions at the end of my last blog, and the current Mrs C pointed out that only one of them came true. Star gazing is not my cup of tea, but I am reminded of the funny story regarding the manner in which the 'astrologer' Russell Grant was sacked by late Robert Maxwell, then boss of The Mirror. The opening sentence in his letter of dismissal read, ' As you already know......' I got the feeling that AC Milan knew they were going to win last night.

I spent a whole day fishing on Wednesday. Up with the birds, we left Yarmouth Harbour at 5am to head down the western Solent with the ebb tide. We hung a left at The Needles then cruised for over 2 hours at 12 knots into the mid-English Channel to get our fill of early season cod. Well, that was the plan.
I suspect many people have a strange notion of what we actually do when we say we've 'gone fishing'. What we don't do is chuck a baited hook over the side, sit down on a comfy seat and wait for a gullible fish to take the bait. We're on our feet all day on a moving deck, working heavy lures 50 metres below on the sea bed, up and down, trying to entice the little blighters. It's hard work, but no one complains when the weather is good and the alternative would be a day at work. There is also a fair bit of yarning, mickey taking and some telling of awful jokes. We didn't get back until 6pm by which time we were all sunburned, dehydrated and tired. My legs felt really stiff and achey, and I had that unpleasant light-headed feeling after a day of too much sun and too little sleep. The floor swims for a few more hours when you get back. A great day out and a freezer full of..... well, not many cod actually but don't tell anyone.

The football was a big disappointment. In a way, AC Milan had their share of the luck that they lacked two years ago, but for once, Benitez got the tactics wrong. There was Pennant skinning his fullback 2 out of 3 times and knocking crosses into the box for who? Kuyt on his own up against Nesta and Maldini. Two 6 foot-tall world class defenders. Not a chance. If ever Crouchy was needed it was last night. And Zenden? Too slow. Too much huff and puff. Bellamy should have been given his chance on the left of Crouchy, with Riise playing the wide role. Mascherano dropping into the defensive midfield on the left. Gerrard had one of his off days, so he looked only average.

My bike training is reaching a crucial stage.
I've worked hard in the last 10 weeks and so far I've done OK. I completed two 100 mile rides. I've developed strength and stamina that didn't exist when I started.
But, consider this fact. On the big day in July...there are still two mountains to climb after the 100 mile mark.
The other factor will be the temperature.
Today I did a moderately fast 25 mile run. For the first time this year I can report that it was hot. Hot and dry. It saps your energy. I was wearing the minimum, just a thin layer of technical moisture-wicking fabric. It wasn't nice to feel the heat radiating back off the tarmac on the slow climbs. I understand that the weather can be variable in the Pyrenees during July, but the most likely conditions will be temperatures approaching the mid-30's or more. I believe a lot of riders really suffered up L'Alpe de Huez last year in the heat, and the water ran out at the feeding stations.The burning sun was so bad that some poor souls tried to gain some shelter by lying in the gutter in the shadow of the small wall at the edge of the drop-off.

I've said before that a good power to weight ratio is the key to climbing these big mountains. My weight has never been an issue in my mind, but I did something I rarely do today... I stood on the scales in the bathroom. 11 stone 3. I've lost about 4 lbs since the end of the footy season. I guess I could lose another couple or three pounds if I continue in the same vain.... it's a nice thought to imagine leaving behind two bags of sugar at the bottom of the climbs, and not having to carry them up the hill. But I'm not going to be too bothered about losing any more. I need to stay strong and healthy, and keep on doing the things I've been doing. I don't want to lower my natural immunity and succumb to an infection which could easily knock a week of training off the schedule.

The County Press are going to publicise my Etape ride and money-raising efforts. A write -up and a photo. I hope it's accurate . It's another pain I will have to endure.

No comments: