Thursday 10 May 2007

Is anybody reading my blog?

One of the most disconcerting things about blogging, is the thought that there is nobody actually reading all this drivel. Well, not literally, because I definitely know of.... oooh , at least 8 people, or maybe 9, who are regular readers, mainly at work. At least they tell me they read it. Then there are a couple of fellow cyclists and bloggers, particularly Mark, who has been a source of support and advice in the last few weeks. And top Northern pro racer, and mentor, Jacko. But that's it. It's annoying that the blog software doesn't have one of those devices which could log all the visits to my blogpage. On the other hand, it could be embarrassing as the counter lamely ticked over the 23 mark after 10 weeks of effort. Have you ever listened to the radio at 4 in the morning? No, of course you haven't. There are all these radio jocks sitting on their lonesome in some dusty studio babbling away to themselves. Very Alan Partridge. At least they're getting paid. My saving grace is the money I've raised for the old Prostate Cancer Charity. That can't be bad. And of course, I'm going to put in the effort whether or not anyone out there actually cares.

But then again, do I care? YES! So, here's a plea. I want those of you who read this daft blog on a regular basis to leave a comment .... please. Anything. I need at least 10 responses. So, come on. This is a test. Go on, go on, go on, go on. I dare you. It's easy. Just click below on the bit that says... 'x comments' ...and do it. Thanks.

I got home from work at 4-ish and as usual I was starving. I had a bowl of cornflakes and some tea, then got my cycling kit on in order to set off an hour later when my stomach emptied. I told you I was going to go for a ride irrespective of the weather. I started in the dry, but within 30 minutes it was tipping it down. The wind was Force 6 and gusty. Climbing up Blackgang Chine was murder. Hats off to the gang of old fellas and lasses on their bikes coming up the hill from Niton. I think they were still trying to do the Randonnee. They all looked in a bad way. Guess what... the blokes were at the front and 30 yards behind were their ladies. Why do they do that?
The wind was horrific on the top by viewpoint car park. These lightweight road bikes are really flighty in strong side winds, and the wheels with their flat spokes make steering almost impossible at times. My ear-bud headphones wouldn't stay in my lugholes again, so I had no music. I actually enjoyed the sound of the tyres zipping along the wet tarmac with the whirr of the chain and gears.
The final score was 27 miles at 17.8 mph. Which even Lance could not have done today. Honest. Not a chance.

17 comments:

Peter Close said...

Brilliant blog, Pete, from Pete.

nmcgann said...

I'm reading it Pete. I'm really interested to see how you do on the day!

Neil

Jacko said...

Get those legs shaved!!!!!!!

JackH said...

I'm reading it!

JackH said...

Ok, you want a dialogue? Sheesh.

I admire your determination and I must admit that at the start I thought you weren't going to do it, but you seemed to have come on dramatically.

All I would say is get in some real hills, the Dales or the Lakes, or better still the Alps or Pyrenees. The psychological aspect of combatting hill after hill after hill can be quite hard but once you have done it, it can strengthen both the legs and the will immeasurably. Be careful not to over do it though - you seemed 'tuned-in' to your body but you are only flesh and blood and the last thing you want is to be exhausted come July.

Oh and the climate thing, you were joking when you said that you thought the climate might be changing weren't you? Even Dubya acknowledges the climate is changing.

PS Not one ever cursed themselves for being over-geared during the Etape.

churmsy said...

Hey closey. Loving the blog. Read it every morning without fail. Honest.

Boing Boing for Sunday

Mark Liversedge said...

Following your progress and helps to motivate me out of the door when its windy and raining.... yours will be the first result I look for after the event!

Anonymous said...

Reading it also

Anonymous said...

I wish I were cycling the Etape like you will and I am sure it will be well worth it. Keep up the training!

johncolv said...

yip

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, enough of us are reading it, Rob

Unknown said...

I'm reading it nearly every day. Keep up the hard work, it will pay off in the end!

Anonymous said...

Now you know me & Nige are reading so don't feel lonely, Closey!
Chicky B

Badger said...

Peter, I am reading it, just have a busy life trying to fit in all the rest, which I know you'll sympathise with! Good stuff. I'll have to try adding pictures to mine, it does add something, although I'm not sure I'll add pictures of the injuries, I'm not good with my own blood...
Good luck
Craig

Anonymous said...

It certainly makes ones day when a dashing Dr. walks by in his lycra! Rest assured your blog is being read. Excellent reading and beautiful pictures of our beautiful Island. Good luck Closey.

adrian said...

hi peter
i have an issue. went up blackgang from chale today. did 1st corner at 9mph. the other day you did it at 15mph. is your computer accidently set to kph? have you been raiding the pharmacy? can't beleive an old boy like you is quicker than me!!!
adrian

Peter Close said...

Adrian. I'm like mustard. KPH? Possibly anything can go wrong, but surely I'm not that daft.Am I?
Need the new chain a week on tuesday/wed but you don't need to worry about touching the crank..it's stopped creaking.