Friday 18 May 2007

She flies like a bird.

This is the final word on saddles and sore bottoms.

This is a photo of 'Fred' sitting on my new 130mm Toupe. Fred had been on the latest trendy diet, but took it too far. As you can see his ischial tuberosities (the bony bits in your bum cheeks) are sitting nicely on the supportive wings of the saddle. After two test rides I've decided that my derriere is a lot bigger than Freds, and I didn't think the new saddle was an improvement on my original 143 mm Toupe. So, it's as we were, and I'm just going to tough it out, irrespective of the pain. This is a psychological war and I'm going to win.


Yesterday I did nearly 40 very pleasant miles with Peter and Steve, two top riders, who I have got to know via a combination of the power of the blog and work. We had perfect weather and it was nice to be able to ride with two other people instead of on my lonesome. The pace was decent, we had a nice mini-peloton thing happening, and I got the chance to see how hill climbing should be done.....err, faster than me.

So, after a shower and the obligatory pot of tea, we retired to The Red Lion at Freshwater for very good pub food and a couple of pints of 6X. The barmaid was a honeybus. After stuffing ourselves , I had the chance to bombard the lads with 101 detailed questions concerning all aspects of road cycling. Steve used to be a professional rider so has been to places on his bike that we bumbling amateurs will never reach. One of the things what I have learned about this road riding business are the massive amount of components and accessories available, which allows you to customise your bike as far as the budget allows. I'm slightly out of synch here because I know less about tasty bike kit than Manuel , and let's face it, 'He knows nothing.' Anyway, the message from Steve is clear. I need new wheels and rubber. Actually I don't need them, but now I want them. More sensibly, it would be a good idea to have some spares available in case I break a spoke or tear a tyre just before a big event.

The other thing that Steve stressed as the Etape gets ever closer is the importance of getting your weight down as much as possible, but without losing strength. That means sensible eating, skillful training and is not just about starving yourself. There are other 'tricks' involved designed to teach your body to burn fat more efficiently, so I think the message is to train 'smart'. Funny...that's the entire gist of the JBST smartcast.

As you know, I've got a 100 mile sportive/race on Sunday. After a confidence wobble earlier in the week, I've given myself a good motivational talk and am now feeling tip-top. Today and tomorrow are rest days, and I want to get plenty of sleep. Hopefully I'll be able to go kitesurfing tomorrow, as we've got a decent forecast.

Maybe I'll have an early night?